BCI is an innovative, physician-led, multi-disciplinary, high-performance sport concussion program founded on over two decades of concussion research and clinical experience. Our insight tells us that no two athletes are exactly the same. Our pre-season baseline multi-modal neurologic assessments foster a precision medicine paradigm by assisting our clinical team to tailor medical decisions and management strategies to the unique characteristics of each athlete.
If an acute sport-related concussion is suspected, an athlete (or parent) merely calls our acute sport concussion “hotline” where they will be triaged by our Concussion Coordinator and expeditiously booked to see a sport medicine physician experienced in concussion. Concussed athletes will be comprehensively assessed, managed and followed regularly in clinic through recovery with written communication to team therapists and coaches, including written medical clearance to return to unrestricted practice / competition.
Our multi-disciplinary team is leaders in their respective fields and includes sport medicine physicians, sport therapists, exercise physiologists, neuro-optometrist, sport dietitian, sport psychologist, neuropsychologist, sport psychiatrists, sport audiologists, and clinician scientists. We understand athletes, coaches, parents and the demands of high-performance sport. You can be assured that you will receive the highest standard of evidence- informed care for your acute sport-related concussion needs.
Our comprehensive multi-modal baseline and post-concussion clinical assessments objectively measure multiple neurological systems and brain processes typically impacted by concussion, including:
1. Traditional Sport-Related Concussion Clinical Assessment Tools
- Sport Concussion Assessment Tool (Version 5)
- Computer Neuropsychological Testing (ImPACT)
- Visual Acuity Assessment
- King-Devick & Vestibular-Ocular Motor Screening Test (VOMS)
2. Sensory, Motor, Cognitive, Visual Gaze, Postural Stability Assessment
3. Autonomic Nervous System Assessment
- Cognitive and exercise response
- Cold pressor response (new this year)
- Isometric hand-grip response (new this year)
4. Vestibular / Postural Sway Assessment
- PROTXX® clinical grade wearable sensor
5. Functional Vision Assessment
- RightEyeTM - FDA approved healthcare technology designed to quickly and accurately assess vision and associated brain health (i.e., fixation, eye teaming, object tracking, eye-hand coordination, reaction time)
6. Electroencephalograph (EEG) and Event-Related Potential (ERP) brain response to a stimulus
- The NeuroCatch® Platform, class II medical device (new this year)